Great emphasis is placed on promoting new talents in Kiel.
Since 1954, the City of Kiel has been awarding scholarships to exceptional foreign students from its twin cities. Today, these are Aarhus, Brest, Coventry, Gdynia, Vaasa, Tallinn, Sovetsk, Kaliningrad, Samsun, Antakya, Moshi, and San Francisco.
Kiel provides a total of six scholarships, each for a maximal ten-month study period.
The City of Kiel will impress with its first class research facilities, maritime flair and its particular seaside location. Kiel is a fresh, growing, family-friendly and well laid out city. Plenty of sport, culture or nature opportunities are on offer to fill the time when not studying.
If you are interested in first class research, a diverse life on campus, and you would like to get to know Germany’s northernmost federal state between the seas, then apply for a scholarship in Kiel. You can do so through your home university.
We look forward to having you!
- Kiel, the centre of science and research of the north - four excellent universities and outstanding scientific research institutes, such as the Geomar Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel, the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and the University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein (UKSH)
- Kiel is a lively and growing city for students - concerts, parties, theatre, museums, festivals and, not least, its location on the water make the city an exciting place to live
- Kiel, the city of short distances – you can walk to the harbour, to the park with friends after university, or cycle to the beach in the evenings!
Here are even more good good reasons nach Kiel zu kommen!
The City of Kiel offers scholarships to gifted students from its partner cities (Aarhus, Antakya / Hatay, Brest, Coventry, Gdynia, Kaliningrad, Moshi Rural, Samsun, San Francisco, Sovetsk, Stralsund, Tallinn, Vaasa) with the intention of strengthening these friendships between the cities.
A total of six scholarships are available for a maximum of ten months of study at Kiel University, Kiel University of Applied Sciences and the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design.
Six scholarships are offered each year for a maximum period of ten months at €860 per month:
- Four scholarships for study at Kiel University
- One scholarship for study at Kiel University of Applied Sciences
- One scholarship for study at the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design
The applicant must be enrolled at a university in one of Kiel’s partner cities. The funding is available for students from the 3rd semester upwards.
Required language proficiency:
a. At least level B1 language proficiency for German language degree programmes
b. At least level B2 language proficiency for English language degree programmes
The applicant’s financial need must be confirmed by his/her home university. Dual funding, e.g. with another scholarship, is not permitted.
The maximum scholarship period is from 1 October to 31 July of the following year. Extensions are not possible.
The scholarship amount is based on rates set by the German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD). This must be used independently to cover livings costs, semester fees and health insurance contributions. A place at a student hall of residence can be reserved by request. The scholarship recipients pay for travel costs themselves.
Applications are to be submitted to the home university’s Rector’s Office; the relevant forms are available at the home university’s International Office.
The documents include:
- two expert assessments (in English or German)
- the required certificate of language proficiency
- justification for the study project in Kiel, which is to include a priority research area of one of Kiel’s universities or a reference to the City of Kiel in terms of its content
- a passport photo
- confirmation of financial need by the home university. Dual funding, e.g. with another scholarship, is not permitted.
A selection of the three best student applications from each partner city will then be submitted to the International Centers of Kiel’s universities. The universities, together with a representative from the City of Kiel and a representative of the student community, will then choose their scholarship recipients.
If you are interested in first class research, a diverse life on campus, and you would like to get to know Germany’s state between the seas, then apply for a scholarship in Kiel.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
-Office for International Relations-