University development is urban development and urban development is university development. Complex society-related and future-related problems can only be solved together.
This knowledge leads to a continuously growing number of direct partnerships between the city and the scientific institutions: from work experience and dissertations by students, via joint projects and events, through to regular institution-based cooperation in various committees.
A few examples:
- a joint project by the University of Applied Sciences, Health Care Department and Stadtteilbüro Ost (district office for east Kiel) to promote exercise among children and young people in Neumühlen-Dietrichsdorf,
- the open citizen participation platform NeoKiel by the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design and Arbeitsgruppe Bürgerbeteiligung (working group for citizen participation),
- film clips on open youth work by the Jugend- und Mädchentreff (youth club and girls’ club) and the University of Applied Sciences,
- apps developed by the Educational Management Department together with the University of Applied Sciences for early assistance and educational services for recent immigrants,
- joint research, conferences and publications by the Stadtarchiv (city archives) and Stadtmuseum (city museum) together with Kiel University (CAU) on the Kiel Mutiny and 150 years of the navy in Kiel,
- the framework planning for Bremerskamp and the Faculty of Engineering by the City Planning Department, CAU and GMSH,
- the funding project Velocampus Kiel by the University of Applied Sciences and the Civil Engineering Office.
There is intensive exchange between institutions and cooperation in joint establishments such as the Science Centre.
The City of Kiel’s Science Unit vermittelt und unterstützt diese vielfältigen Kooperationen zwischen Stadt und wissenschaftlichen Einrichtungen.
Header photo: Claudia Eulitz / Uni Kiel