University development is urban development and urban development is university development. Complex society-related and future-related problems can only be solved together.
This knowledge leads to a continuously growing number of direct partnerships between the city and the scientific institutions: from work experience and dissertations by students, via joint projects and events, through to regular institution-based cooperation in various committees.
A few examples:
- cooperation with the Kiel School of Sustainability
- cooperation at the transdisciplinary innovation project CAPTin Kiel (Clean Autonomous Public Transport in Kiel)
- the open citizen participation platform NeoKiel by the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design and Arbeitsgruppe Bürgerbeteiligung (working group for citizen participation),
- film clips on open youth work by the Jugend- und Mädchentreff (youth club and girls’ club) and the University of Applied Sciences,
- apps developed by the Educational Management Department together with the University of Applied Sciences for early assistance and educational services for recent immigrants,
- joint research, conferences, publications and events by the Stadtarchiv (city archives) and Stadtmuseum (city museum) together with Kiel University (CAU) on the Kiel Mutiny and 150 years of the navy in Kiel,
- the funding project Velocampus Kiel by the University of Applied Sciences and the Civil Engineering Office.
Highlights in Kiel's event calendar, such as the Museum Night, Researchers’ Night oder die Digital Week Kiel are also lighthouse projects for successful partnerships. There is intensive exchange between institutions and cooperation in joint establishments such as the Science Centre.
The City of Kiel’s Science Unit vermittelt und unterstützt diese vielfältigen Kooperationen zwischen Stadt und wissenschaftlichen Einrichtungen.